CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 7, 2007

Weeping and Wailing and Gnashing of Teeth

Has anyone's babies been really attached to a bink? Ella has been a MAJOR binky super sucker since the day she was born. I only let her have it at night and she sleeps really well with it. I can just lay her down awake and she'll just hang out till she falls asleep. A mother's dream! Well, lately I've been thinking that she's almost 18 mo. old and it's about time for her not to have it any more. So this week, since she's been sick with a bad cold and a cold sore for a lip she hasn't been sucking on her bink b/c it hurts too much. So she just holds it in her hand to sleep. I thought that it might be a good time to get rid of it since she's not sucking on it anyway. (nothing worse than a 2 year old that sucks on a bink while they're talking) I heard from a friend that it's easier to fase it out if you snip part of the nipple end off little by little (one small snip and it becomes unsuckable). So I tried it 2 nights ago and it was ok... she wined for about 2 minutes and fell asleep and I thought, "wow, this is way easier than I thought". That was until she woke up freaking out at 3 am till 5:45 am b/c she couldn't find her real bink! It was so sad b/c she kept pointing to her mouth and in the sadest little voice she would say, "Maaaaa...beee. Peas? peas? Bee? Beee." I put her down last night and she was really freaking out on me. I mean screaming like she's gonna die. Normally I just tune it out but I haven't had to hear her cry like that since she was 3 months old when we were trying to get her to sleep through the night with out eating! I'm wondering if I made a good choice I mean she is really sick and she's never slept a night with out her bink. But, now that I've started, there's no turning back. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of something they're that their baby has been attatched to? Hopefully tonight will be a little better.

3 comments:

Melissa Wilson said...

Oh Morgan! I feel for you both. I like the benefits of the paci as much as Emma, I think. No problem sleeping at night, or staying quiet during sacrament meeting. I am dreading the day it has to go...which I am afraid is approaching quickly. We are going to wait until after we move so she has it during the adjustment, so maybe it will be for her 2nd birthday (at least then she will understand when we tell her she can't have it anymore) I've been telling her it is for babies and soon she won't get it anymore...I have no advice, sorry!

Samantha Fife said...

Ok, I have never done this, (obviously) but I have a friend who tired telling her 2 year old that the pacifier had to be tied to the bedroom door on a string and if he wanted it, he had to stand there and suck on it. He did for about 3 days but then he missed out on what was going on in the living room and gave it up. He could still see it when he went to bed, but didn't need it anymore really soon! If you do try it let me know how it goes.....

mostly Stacy said...

Poor girl. Sam never had a binky but he had a bottle way longer than he ought to have. If it were me.... I would postpone till after she's sick because she needs the comfort of it becuase she's extra uncomfortable. Also when I started phasing out the bottle, I talked to him about it all day. I really think babies understand pretty well what your talking about. Say things to her in positive language,like, "you don't have to have your binky anymore" instead of "you can't have your binky tonight." It worked for my kid. Good luck girly.